Tuesday 10 July 2012

AN INTERVIEW WITH DEBUT AUTHOR MANDA JANE WARD,






I am pleased to introduce Manda Jane Ward to my blog, her debut novel 'Without saying a word' is coming out soon released by Trestle Press. Take it away Manda :)


Where are you from?
I live in Luton, Bedfordshire, but I was born in Barnehurst Kent.  I am married to Matt and we live with our three children and two mad cats.  I also have four older children from a previous marriage.  My eldest child made me a grandmother for the first time this year at the very ancient age of 40.

Tell us your latest news?
Signed my first contract with Trestle Press in June for my first novel Without Saying A Word, and awaiting a publication date.  Currently working on my second book.

When and why did you begin writing?
Been writing pretty much since I was a kid.  On a serious basis a couple of years ago.

What inspired you to write your first book?
I decided to write something that I was interested in reading.  It may not be to everyone’s taste, but I think the good guy gets a bad deal at times.  I thought it was about time that the good guy got his girl.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I do NOT write erotica, I write traditional romantic tales that are quirky with a humourous touch!

What books have most influenced your life most?
There are so many as the romance novel has changed throughout my lifetime.   I would say, Mills and Boon romances (especially the Temptation line), Forever by Judy Blume and of course Anne Of Green Gables.  Pride and Prejudice too!
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Gosh, I cannot choose, so I will say there are several including: Gina Wilkins, Marguerite Kaye, Nora Roberts, Michelle Willingham, Heidi Rice, Maisey Yates, Jessica Hart, Liz Fielding and of course the late great Betty Neels and Penny Jordan.
What book are you reading now?
At the moment I’m doing a lot of research for my current book, so I am reading off and on.  Nothing specific to be honest!

What are your current projects?
I won’t say in case it all goes wrong and I decide to bin it! It’s also a step into the unknown for me.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
No.  I like my story and LOVE my hero, hope you do too!

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I’ve always read.  From a child gobbling up Enid Blyton, and L M Montgomery.  It is my dream to have my name on a book, and to hear from someone that they enjoyed reading my work.  I also loved spending afternoons with my Grandmother Kitty Yates watching a musical on the television, drinking tea and eating home made cake.  The stories the musicals were based on just made want to write something to make someone smile and feel emotions.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I think the POV is really difficult.  Keeping to one persons as you write, also making sure your work is fresh and careful not to tread on toes!

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Look above at my mentors, they have taken the romance novel and really upped the ante!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Not giving up.  I came so close to binning it several times.  I had to keep going.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I accomplished it.  Taking a break from writing is NOT wrong. Sometimes you need the break to look at the work afresh

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep going.  If you really love your story, believe in it and love your hero, then carry on.  Also keep the work fresh and new.  Use your own voice no matter how hard it is.  IT CAN BE DONE and DONT GIVE UP!!!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
If someone does like my book and buys it.  THANK YOU for helping my dream come true.  It’s a nice romance called WITHOUT SAYING A WORD by AMANDA J. WARD
Thank you Charlotte for having me.  I will let you know when Trestle Press have a publication date

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Charlotte. It was a pleasure. Hope to reciprocate soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Manda.. Nice interview Charlotte.. And now I should fess up and admit I once had a mad crush on Howard Keel after seeing Calamity Jane one afternoon with my Mum (actually think I may have had a bit of a crush on Doris Day too!!) Musicals really are the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Manda! Congratulations on your sale and good luck with your second book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the book Manda xx,

    Heidi, I must admit to a crush on Gordon Macrae from Carousel. Yes I agree I thought there was nothing better than watching musicals on a Saturday afternoon with my mum and grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic of you both, and great interview Manda, thank you for the very nice words. I'll put my hands up to being another Doris Day fan, her films are the ultimate in feel-goodness. I saw Howard Keel in concert once, and he sang a selection from Calamity, but then spoilt it all by telling us all how much he admired Margaret Thatcher. He said this in Glasgow. It didn't go down well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That doesn't surprise me. Saying that though Darling hubby has bought me the entire collection of Doris Day films for my birthday in August. Im crossing fingers that anyone reading this will be interested in buying my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, Manda! I can't wait to read your book :) Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Manda. Such a great story and a hero to die for. So looking forward to publication day.

    ReplyDelete